Flea is regarded as a pest that used to feed off the blood of animals and even yours by biting. Their bite is not painful but once you have been bitten, intense itchiness and swelling will occur around the bitten area, which causes great discomfort. The fleas are known to transmit parasites
It can jump more than any other pest that is around 295 feet across and 160 feet high. Once these fleas make a home on a pet, a single flea will lay almost 2,000 eggs in its complete lifetime. And soon from your pet, your carpets, fabrics, and furniture become swarming places for these pests. These pesky pets might pause their growth during cold, they try to find some warmth under carpets for hatching.
Flea usually bite pets, biting humans are quite rare. For a pet owner who loves his cats and dogs, fleas create a continuous strain on the mind. There are numerous diseases caused by fleas which are as follows:
- Bubonic plague
- Murine typhus
- Skin allergies
Home Remedy to Get Rid of Fleas
There are a handful of remedies to prevent your house from fleas and get rid of this pest:
- Sulfur: It is a natural element made up of rotten eggs stink. If any flea eats it or touches it, it will be killed because of the energy production. Sprinkle it on the shrubs, grasses, and outside your house. It is not much harmful to humans but it can be bad for your pet. So, use it with care.
- Lemon spray: You can not get fleas if you just squeeze an orange or lemon juice all over the house. To use lemon as a treatment for getting fleas away we need to make a citrus spray. To make this flea spray, boil slices of thin lemon in water. let this mixture sit overnight and pour it into a spray bottle. The next day sprays it on the infested areas in your home. The extracts from citrus peels, like linalool or D-limonene, can also work indoors to treat both fleas and their eggs.
- Dish Soap: This remedy involves the creation of a trap for the pest. What you need to do is to mix warm water and dish soap solution in an open container like a bowl or a plate. Now place this solution in the room where fleas are present. It is a good idea if you do it at night, it will work more effectively. Actually, that mixture has a high viscosity and it is working as glue. Repeat the same process with the fresh mixture for a week or two.
- Diatomaceous earth: Diatomaceous earth is the talc-like powder, made up of microscopic remains of fossilized algae, diatoms. It is a very fine powder that causes dehydration to fleas and is non-toxic to humans. Spray the powder over areas you feel have high flea activity and leave it for 2 days. Then clean with a vacuum. The flea will stop coming after this powder shown the magic. It kills fleas by drying them out. It is safe and non-poisonous. But as any dusty powder does, be careful not to breathe in, it will cause irritation in the airways.
- Flea repelling plants: We can use some plants to get away the fleas from us. This plant contains some specific oils, compounds, and chemicals which fleas hate and will try to avoid. Some of these plants are Penny Royal, chrysanthemums, lavender, and spearmint. Pennyroyal oil, the oil from this plant in the mint family can kill fleas. This oil is present in the insecticide shampoos for pets. It may cause vomiting, diarrhea, and even death from liver failure.
- Herbal flea spray: Spray the herbal spray in the room which is made by mixing 4 liters of vinegar, 2 liters of water, 500 ml of lemon juice, and 250 ml of witch hazel in a large spray bottle. It is a rapid home remedy to get rid of fleas. Other natural sprays that can be used are peppermint, cinnamon, or rosemary oil sprays that promise to purge your living spaces of fleas.
- Baking soda: Baking soda is also very useful to get rid of fleas but at the cost of your lovely furniture and beautiful cushions!. Here, you need to lay down baking soda along with your furniture and carpets and rub it into your fabric with a hard brush. After 1-2, Clean the home with the vacuum. You can use boric acid for the same purpose as an alternative.
- Salt: Using the salt for getting rid of fleas is the same as the same process as we have seen for baking soda. Just sprinkle the salt on carpets and furniture and clean after 1-2 days, emptying the contents in an outside trash can.
- Cedar Chips, Wax Myrtle leaves: There are not strong shreds of evidence that it works but the best thing is they are not harmful. You can spread around your yard or inside to your house to see if it helps.
- Light traps: These light traps will lure and trap fleas until they die or you kill them yourself. Create a trap with a yellow and green light by doing it on for 10 minutes and off for 5 seconds. It fools the fleas hiding in your furniture and carpets, they will jump outward towards the light.
- Elbow grease: The best way to banish fleas is with some good old-fashioned housework. We should regularly be cleaning fleas as they latch. This breaks the new flea cycle so no new eggs get laid and leads to future flea families. Launder any fabric your pet uses, like blankets, toys, or bedding.
- Garlic: Last but not least, fleas do not like garlic. So, it is a natural flea repellent that is safe to use in the yard with your pets.
No doubt natural way is better to deal with the flea pests, but If you are feeling more trouble because of fleas then it is advised to contact the Ehrlich Pest Control for fleas control and prevention. The best way to get rid of fleas is with the help of a professional pest controller such as Ehrlich. They will provide the best services to you and remove a flea infestation in your home or office.